U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Basic toning

Re: Basic toning

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Basic toning
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:46:55 -0800

> Probably the best toner for partial toning is Kodak Brown
> Toner which is a polysulfide toner.

Agreed.

> The color produced by a toner depends on the original image
> color, or more precisely, on the structure of the developed
> silver. Generally warm tone paper has finer silver grains
> than cold tone paper and tones more readily. As a rule of
> thumb (with exceptions as usual) the colder the original
> image the colder the toned image and vice-versa. Warm tone
> paper developers generally result in finer silver grains
> hence shifting the image color toward yellow.

I don't really recommend warm tone *developer* for prints that
are intended to be toned in polysulfide or selenium toner. The
toned image may suffer significant density loss and excessive
orange or yellow color, especially if used with warm tone
paper stock.

The effect of toning is very specific to the paper emulsion
and you can't really tell from the look of the untoned
image. For example, both Ilford MG4 and Agfa MCP produce
neutral black image when processed in Dektol 1+2, but Agfa
produces significantly warmer toned image, while MG4 remaining
almost neutral black. Both papers are useful, but for
different purposes. (And AGFA paper is no longer available.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections