U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Exposure times in tricolor gum

Re: Exposure times in tricolor gum

I haven't followed this entire discussion, but if the question is
about differential exposure times and curves for tricolor gum
layers, my informal experience from years of printing tricolor gum
in an intuitive rather than calibrated fashion was that the exposure
times were essentially the same for all layers, and my observations
from a recent year or more spent carefully studying the calibration
of digital negatives for gum have yielded the same conclusion, that
there's not that much difference between them. When determining
exposure times very precisely for printing PY97, PV19 and Prussian
blue on Arches bright white, gelatin-glyoxal, the exposure times were
Prussian, 3:00; PV19, 2:45; and PY97, 2:15. In other words, not that
much difference, but the yellow was shortest and the cyan longest,
not the other way around, and that's always been my experience; when
there's a difference it tends in that direction.

If anyone is interested in a somewhat longer explication of my
thoughts and observations on the subject:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/mythfilter.html

The most recent tricolor print I've done is the test print I made on
masa which I showed here a few weeks ago; my purpose in the testing
was just to try to understand the requirements and peculariaties of
printing on the masa paper; I didn't care too much about the tricolor
print itself, so I just used the same exposure time for all three
without bothering to determine them separately, and it seems to have
worked just fine. (And by the way, I've decided that masa just isn't
worth my time; even though I finally got the hang of it I just don't
like the paper

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/masa.html

As for curves, the curves I've calculated for the different layers
are so similar that they could easily be superimposed on each other;
they are all very deep, including the yellow. During the time I was
studying calibration for gum, I generated dozens of curves for all
different colors and pigment concentrations; I found differences in
curves as a result of differences in saturation of the pigment
(note, this isn't the same as pigment concentration in any absolute
sense); the less deep the pigment mix, the shallower the curve, and
vice versa, but not differences in curves simply as a result of their
hue range. And of course exposure times vary similarly; a deeper
pigment mix will take longer and a lighter pigment mix will take less
time, but this is true across hue ranges rather than sorting out
differentially for different hue ranges.

Since I have the separate curves, I use them when printing tricolor,
but when I've used the same curve for all, it doesn't make any
difference in the final print, which makes sense given how similar
the curves are.

Katharine