U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: giclee, silver gelatin/gelatin silver was 3 questions

Re: giclee, silver gelatin/gelatin silver was 3 questions

  • To: Alt List <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
  • Subject: Re: giclee, silver gelatin/gelatin silver was 3 questions
  • From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:44:05 -0700

AFAIK it is "gelatin silver", a term coined in the 1870's. It was gelatin
dry plate and then gelatin silver bromide and gelatin silver chloride, one a
developing out paper and one a printing out paper, but now we have gelatin
silver bromo-chloride and chloro-bromide and we get really mixed up and
isn't there iodide in there somewhere?

However the case may be, it was gelatin silver from the historical start
from my books, because other things were suspended in the gelatin before
(carbon, dichromates) and when silver salts began to be suspended in them,
that was added as a qualifier (although why didn't they ever say "gelatin
carbon" or gelatin dichromate"?).

But whenever you say it is a gelatin silver print it sounds pretty silly
(maybe less so nowadays the further away we are getting from silver!) but we
really can't say BW print anymore can we, because it refers to so many
different things.

As far as giclee, I think it is a term that has lived its life and sounds
stupid, aside from the fact that usually people can't spell it or pronounce
it. It did not become mainstream like Kleenex.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/