U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Pinhole gums

Re: Pinhole gums

Well, just between you and me :--) I wouldn't have gone to so much
trouble if I hadn't believed that the thumbnail for the series was a
tricolor gum print. I really wanted to see it in a bigger size; I
loved the rich color in combination with the very subtle shadings.
I was really quite disappointed to find in the end that that was the
original photograph not the tricolor gum print, which was quite
different in character. There was another set where the tricolor
gum was actually quite true to the original, but that wasn't the one
I was most interested in. Always the contrarian....

But as I said, I'm glad I got to see the other recent series as
well. I was quite taken with the CMY series; whatever you're doing
with those, it's working, is all I can say about that.

I gather the film was a color slide film? I once tried making
pinhole images on color negative film, in a pinhole camera I made
from a 35mm camera body. I found I couldn't make decent color
separations from them for gum printing, because the pinhole exposure
seemed to introduce color noise on the film that was exacerbated by
my 35mm film scanner, which always had a problem with noise anyway,
and I just couldn't get the noise out of the images enough to make a
decent color gum print from it. But this was way back 15 years ago
or so, I don't know if I could do a better job cleaning it up now.
It's lovely to see your smooth rich tones in comparison.

Thanks again for posting those,
Katharine