U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Overexposeure was Re:Pinhole gums

Re: Overexposeure was Re:Pinhole gums

Hey Mark,

That's a thought.  As advised by the woman at Photographers Formulary, I keep the bottled glut in the refrigerator, so when I get ready to use it, I take it out and have never even bothered to warm it up-- I just add the required amount in the warmed up gelatin.  But I guess that could have happened.  I did have the gelatin in one of those electric glue pots that keep everything at a constant 140 degrees, so it stayed warm-- until I was coating, but I was very quick about it-- I think maybe it just dried too quickly.  I also used different types of paper when sizing, both Fabriano and Rives BFK, and got the same results from both.  The only difference in what I normally do was the (relative) excessive dry cold.

On Nov 30, 2008, at 2:16 PM, ender100 wrote:

Could it be that the hardening agent you are using for the gelatin did not activate in the cold well and then when you coated with the gum, it was causing a hardening of the gum?

I would try sizing a sheet in "normal"  temperature and humidity and then try a gum print on it and see what happens.

Fall seems to be when lots of people have problems with printing due to changes in temperature and humidity.

On Nov 30, 2008, at 1:11:45 PM, "Diana Bloomfield" <dhbloomfield@bellsouth.net> wrote:
From:"Diana Bloomfield" <dhbloomfield@bellsouth.net>
Subject:Re: Overexposeure was Re:Pinhole gums
Date:November 30, 2008 1:11:45 PM CST
To:alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Hey Katharine, David-

Still here-- we were on our way out the door to catch a ferry to get
back home, and then our cat managed to hide herself so we couldn't
leave.  We finally found her hiding in a closet-- anyway--  as far as
overexposure-- that is what it sounds like, though I was using the
same exposure times as before.  So-- since this was without the usual
humidity, it couldn't have been overexposure, right?