U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: tricolor gumprint nr.4 and more chatter

Re: tricolor gumprint nr.4 and more chatter

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: tricolor gumprint nr.4 and more chatter
  • From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:53:46 -0700

Henk,
I just love your work.  You capture a sort of frank innocence/quietness in the images I have seen you post of late. Thanks for posting.  I am loving the fact that a lot of y'all are putting images on the web to look at. The conversations are better clarified when we have images as examples and we get to know each other better when we see what we each choose to photograph.

OFF TOPIC SO DON'T READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO:

I just have to share a Thanksgiving story that makes me so happy, nothing alt.  My hubby is in Haiti right now working on establishing a building for a school/medical clinic/church in this country village off the northern side.  As I had said a while back on the list, I went down there in June with a group and documented, thinking I would come back and do a lot of gum work with the images--in other words I went down for "alt" reasons. Well, the images just did not lend themselves to gum much and that didn't seem to be the direction to go, so I just ended up making a 200 page Blurb book with them.

Tom brought a copy of the book with him, and the entire town of Little Guinea is SOOOO excited to see themselves in those pages!!  These are people with no plumbing, dirt floors, no electricity, no money, little food, no medical care not even bandaids or aspirin, no access to education (you have to pay for it), little clothing and shoes, no work, and here they see themselves in a BOOK! They are so proud and happy that they are racing around the town showing everyone themselves for hours.  I never had any idea this would be the outcome of all that labor, that I could bring pleasure to a town with a silly book.

The book has also been instrumental in raising funds for the project which was not my intention at all.

Do you realize how incredible it is to have a DREAM in June of this combo medical care/school/church for this little town and then have it be a reality in 6 months??

BTW he is able to communicate with me by text on his iPhone...the wonders of technology.

So I am sorry for being SO off topic but I am too excited when I found this out this morning that my photography has brought happiness in such a hard knocks place....when photography can be used for humanitarian purposes it feels--good. Makes me want to quit my job and move there to work.  Well, on second thought, with this economic blitz I will have to work until I am 70 and THEN go there.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/