U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: cyanotype question

Re: cyanotype question

2 points: probably no surprise, but just in case... + a suggestion.

1. Depending on the paper, double-coating cyanotype can make a significantly darker blue. (If the paper is smooth and thin, a second coat makes it lighter, because it wipes off some of coat #1... But with an absorbent, heavier paper, like maybe Rives BFK, it usually works & saves dinking around with ratios.)

2. I think it was Chris mentioned 90% alcohol... I discovered by accident a few years ago that ordinary isopropyl, that is, "rubbing alcohol" at the corner drugstore, is available in 90%... no need for special sources. If they don't have it in stock, they'll usually order it.

Then, someone mentioned sizing paper for cyanotype, tho I don't remember whether that was for tri-color gum or plain cyanotype. For what it's worth, I note that I tested every size in the book for plain single- coat cyanotype on every paper I could find. None of them, not a single one, was better than just cyanotype on the naked paper -- and most were worse. So, I concluded, cyano doesn't like/need size.

However, for tricolor gum, I recall Sara Van Keuren's technique, which is to shrink, then do the cyano coat, THEN size the paper, then do the other two colors.

J.