U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: edible alt

Re: edible alt

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: edible alt
  • From: ender100 <ender100@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:57:32 -0600

I seem to remember something about Preparation H and alt photo from an old posting on the list....

Best Wishes,

Mark Nelson

From:"BOB KISS" <bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Subject:edible alt
Date:December 19, 2008 11:13:00 AM CST
To:alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
DEAR LIST,
I seem to recall in past postings that certain "food" items could be
used in alt photography.
For example I read that a saturated solution of MSG could be used to develop
PT/PD prints. I also recall that either Sprite or 7-Up had enough
phosphoric acid in it to be used as a clearing bath.
I would like to add a few. Most "Iron tonics" used for anemia
contain ferric ammonium citrate as their "iron". If I mix them with a bit
of Potassium Ferricyanide solution I could make some cyanotypes, yes?
I returned from Paris with a nasty flu and have been taking
Buckley's cough syrup with its characteristic high gag factor ammonium smell
& taste. When I read the label it stated that it contained Ammonium
Carbonate. Soooooooooo, if Eric Neilsen will tall me the right amount of
citric acid to add, I guess I could make an Ammonium Citrate PT/PD
developer.
I must confess I find it scary to consume anything that can either
develop or clear PT/PD prints but I guess this is "better living through
chemistry" as our old pals at DuPont used to say.
HOLIDAY CHEERS!
BOB

Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/

"Live as if you are going to die tomorrow. Learn as if you are going to
live forever". Mahatma Gandhi