U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: edible alt

RE: edible alt

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: edible alt
  • From: Robert Young <rwybeaker@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:10:37 -0600

> Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:13:00 -0400
> From: bobkiss@caribsurf.com
> Subject: edible alt
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>
> DEAR LIST,
> I seem to recall in past postings that certain "food" items could be
> used in alt photography.

Not exactly what you were requesting, but you can use instant coffee as a film and paper developer.  Likewise the cheap, generic Vitamin C tablets (rose-hips optional...) can be crushed up and make a pretty decent film developer.  And still in the film developer catagory is Parodinal made from Tylenol and lye...

I've played with all three and especially the Folgerol as a film developer.  As a paper developer it stunk, literally and figuratively.  It did work but not so well with MGIV and with too much staining and the smell of rotten coffee in the open tray gets to you after a while.  For film, it was great and gives a pseudo-pyro look to the negatives.  Haven't bleached and redeveloped to see if there is tanning, or proportional staining or just an overall stain (I suspect just overall stain).

Rob