U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: More to see in NYC (Hint: Sookang Kim)

RE: More to see in NYC (Hint: Sookang Kim)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: More to see in NYC (Hint: Sookang Kim)
  • From: herr unterberg <phritz-phantom@web.de>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:06:21 +0100

fine, let's continue the details of the order offlist.
and thanks vedos for the hint. i know lotus view. i'm from austria and they're pretty close to me. but on one hand, i try to buy from the creator him/herself if possible to, on the other, i have somewhat mixed feelings about that company (please don't aske me to elaborate, it's more or less just a gut feeling and i've ordered from them before and everything went fine). alhtough i'd get the issues from them, if the price difference is big enough and i'd get a thumbs up from judy.

> Will you share the name of this interesting paper?
i had left out the details, because i was afraid to get laughed at.  it's a house brand from a local arts shop (most likely a re-branding of some sort). it's big block of watercolor paper and costs 10euro for a hundred sheets. but i'm really satisfied so far and there is really no way i can do 10euro for 8-12 sheets of thick paper all the time. also i was looking for a paper with a very smooth surface, because i wasn't comfortable with the rough texture of the paper i used before (daler-rowney "the langton").
here's a link to the cheap paper:
http://www.boesner.com/boesner/servlet/frontend/articleDetail.html?command=display&btUid=bt_Article&iDf_id=c0a8736c:ae3da8:fd09f42bac:6c9e&TRK_MATR_CE_ID=c0a87361:-5a63d75f:113d890cb4e:-1a4e&TRK_PROJECT_ID=7f001:16e202b0:11521c6eca6:361e&category=Shop%2FPapier%2FAquarellpapier&suchtext=big%20block
(the description only says: french watercolor paper, sized on one side, and suited for all wet techniques)

> As I recall, the 21-step sensitivity guide wasn't available in Europe, nor
> any real equivalent. My experience is that the *measured* density of such
> a guide (which you could make yourself digitally) is more useful in tests
> than the essentially random density of a picture negative.
i made tests using the chart throb script for photoshop and printing out the negs before. i really need to do that again. but sometimes i have a really stupid aversion against systematic testing, i need to be in a special mood to do that.

> > ..and i
> > currently use rabbit skin glue as a size.
>
> That's also on my list -- I'd tried it once and made a mess, but I've
> decided again to try again.
i ordered the rabbit skin glue more or less by accident (the catalogue said it was the same as "techical gelatin"). my first try was no success either. i tried a thick layer of glue first (15ml of 5% solution for a 24x30cm print, spread out with comb and left to dry). the coating was very messy and uneven. the prints looked horrible.
the second try was a lot better. a thin coat brushed on seems to work fine. no hardening involved at all. the glue seems to absorb the emulsion quicker than normal gelatin (the thicker the size the more noticable), so it's a little more prone to uneven coating, you have to work a little quicker.

> These were not as far as I know on a website, tho perhaps she's now put
> them there. When I become sane again, I'll call the gallery to ask...
i found a lot of her work here: http://www.gallery339.com/html/artistresults.asp?artist=33&testing=true

regards,
phritz

Jetzt 1 Monat kostenlos! WEB.DE FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 EURO/mtl.!* http://dsl.web.de/?ac=OM.AD.AD008K13805B7069a