U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: color printing for dummies

Re: color printing for dummies

Hi phritz,
First, I'd say your blue (payne's grey) is too weak to balance your red and yellow; I'd recommend a more definite blue (pthalo, prussian, ultramarine or indanthrone) or a less definite red and yellow (that would give you a softer, more unsaturated color palette with the payne's grey. Yellow ochre and burnt umber can work well with payne's grey for that purpose).

Then, which color to print with which separation: cyan (blue) with the red separation, magenta (red) with the green separation, and yellow with the blue separation. That's if you create the RGB>CMY separations by inverting the channels individually. If you use the "multichannel" method described in James, the separations come out named CMY and you use them straightforwardly. With CMYK it's straightforward, use the separations as named.

For more detailed information:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/RGBseps.html
http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/CMYK.html
http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/tricolor.html