From: etienne garbaux [mailto:photographeur@nerdshack.com]
Sent: 24 February 2009 13:37
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: intensity of bulbs

Barry wrote:

>Does a 24" bulb at 20 watts have the same intensity as a 48" bulb at 40
watts?

I would expect them to have the same intensity per unit surface area,
so used in a light box they should give equal exposures (but you
could do two prints at a time in the 48" unit because its total
output is double).  This is confirmed to a first approximation by
looking at otherwise-identical 24" and 48" tubes -- which you can
often do in the lighting aisle of your local home improvement
store.  Their surfaces appear to be the same brightness.  (No reason
I can see why the same should not be true for actinic phosphors.)  If
you Google for tube specs, you can probably find more precise information.

Best regards,

etienne