U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | “The Lure of Reflection” — Contemporary Daguerreotype at Basho

“The Lure of Reflection” — Contemporary Daguerreotype at Basho

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: “The Lure of Reflection” — Contemporary Daguerreotype at Basho
  • From: Tsuyoshi Ito <tito@projectbasho.org>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:24:44 -0400

Hi,

This is an announcement from Project Basho about upcoming Daguerreotype related events at the studio. Hope you can make to these events this weekend.

Warmly,
Tsuyoshi

“The Lure of Reflection”
Contemporary Daguerreotype at Basho

Lecture and Demonstration — March 13th & 15th

Project Basho is hosting a series of Daguerreotype related events this week with Takashi Arai, an emerging Japanese photographer.

To coincide with the Daguerreian Society Symposium, we are working closely with the Library Company of Philadelphia and other cultural institutions in the area to run a series of Daguerreotype exhibitions and events this fall. This is part of our continuing effort to raise public awareness of historical processes as well as Philadelphia's contribution to the development of photography.

- Lecture by Takashi Arai, Friday 13th at 7 pm
Takashi Arai will discuss how he came to work with this historical process and the contemporary significance of this rare medium. The lecture will be accompanied by a slide show presentation of his work.
The lecture will also include a brief introduction by Tsuyoshi Ito who will address Philadelphia's role in photographic history and the historical development of this process.
Admission is $10 for the general public and $5 for students and Friends of Project Basho.

- Daguerreotype Demonstration, Sunday 15th 11 am
Mr. Arai will lead a public demonstration to show the intricacy of the Daguerreotype process. This is a very unique opportunity to see how these beautiful one-of-a-kind images are made.
Admission is $10 for the general public and $5 for students and Friends of Project Basho.

- Historical Process Related Workshops at Basho
Project Basho is hosting workshops on historical processes this month. On March 28 & 29, we are inviting Kerik Kouklis to run a Wet Plate Collodion (more popularly known as Tintype) Workshop. Participants will create images on both glass and aluminum (modern version of tin).
Also in May, we are inviting Ron Reeder, the author of "Digital Negatives," to run a workshop on creating digital negatives with an inkjet printer. Now you can produce negatives from your inkjet printer and create final prints in a wet darkroom. This process will make any of the historical processes more accessible.

Related Links:
Lecture Series at Project Basho - http://www.projectbasho.org/lecture/
Takashi Arai Photography - http://www.takashiarai.com
Featured Photographers at Basho - http://featured-photographers.projectbasho.org