U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Steichen image in April's 'Vanity Fair'

Re: Steichen image in April's 'Vanity Fair'

I just had a chance to see this image, and I can believe he might
have gotten this with just those 2 layers-- pt/pd and cyanotype. Of
course, it would be nice to see it in real life. As mentioned, we
don't really know how much this reproduction has been "punched up" by
the magazine editors.

I've done a lot of pt/pd and cyanotype, though with pinhole negatives
only, and while I've never achieved this deep orange-y flesh tone, I
have been consistently surprised by how the flesh tones in portraits
do seem to subtly change color and stand out more, even when the cyan
layer, at first glance, doesn't look like it's had any effect at all
on the flesh tones. Of course, the cyanotype, done after the pt/pd
layer, can be controlled somewhat via exposure and emulsion, and the
cyan color will obviously tend to adhere more to the thinner parts of
the negative (more noticeable, of course, with a pinhole negative
than a regular lens-based negative).

But I think it was Mark who mentioned Sam Wang's cyanotype over pt/pd
yesterday, and I remember seeing one of Sam's portraits done like
that, and thinking that he must have also used gum-- it was
incredible-- and really seemed like it had so many more colors in it
than just the pt/pd and cyanotype-- very rich-- but I remember
asking him about it, and he'd used only the pt/pd and cyanotype.

Also, I can imagine that different papers available to Steichen (from
what we have now) might also make a difference. And what about the
chemicals themselves. Are they exactly the same as what we now use?

But who knows. Maybe he did add gum, or some hand-tinting. I'd love
to see the real thing. I'm guessing the real image isn't quite as
rich and dark as this reproduction, but that's just a guess.