U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: First print on Al

Re: First print on Al

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: First print on Al
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:18:19 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;bh=pUaFIaMSgK/9CrzsjQXKBALrgkZvf7is3a3ZJ6Q8X1E=;b=rtSrqQb/CbIlAszMK2Lk5UMynaddMfruMM1S1etLx8Zhgk4XyXc80Dv4Rr7imbDY8fo7ayMLrhY5SGGLma0nPtijw83RuhD2TFvG/D8sdPpQouYr9md7bLcFhDYgDTK/cn1QopvTh+yl95MRR0zneZgAvcfDCjYI0RLE3+V6zAE=

Rajul,

I dilute gesso 1:1 with water and then mix that 1:1 with pumice powder.  Are you using aluminum printer plates?  Sometimes these have a slight oil residue - a remnant of the manufacturing process.  It has to be VERY clean.   I use a spray degreaser followed by isopropyl alcohol to get the surface squeaky clean before applying the gesso.  (sorry - I forgot to mention that before....)  I've put 8 gum passes on , but I very seldom have to do that many.

Keith