U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Preparing Al sheets; other factors

Re: Preparing Al sheets; other factors

Has anyone tried spraying the gesso on then applying the CACO3 with a dust box?

On Mar 24, 2009, at 3:19:44 AM, "Loris Medici" <mail@loris.medici.name> wrote:

From:"Loris Medici" <mail@loris.medici.name>
Subject:Re: Preparing Al sheets; other factors
Date:March 24, 2009 3:19:44 AM CDT
To:alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Hi Rajul, thanks for the citation (<- if that's the correct term).

24 Mart 2009, Salı, 2:24 am tarihinde, Rajul yazmış:
> Experience of a local artist who paints on PREPARED AL SHEETS:
>
> - sand the sheet with gritty sandpaper
> - clean it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol
> - brush-coat with diluted gesso
> - to change white of gesso, add acrylic paint of choice to it before
> coating
>
> (Sanding after gessoeing would destabilize the surface, leaving fine
> dust on top of which would sit the gelatin! How can the emulsion hold
> on to that?)

I don't understand this; it that for aluminum sheets exclusively? Isn't
sanding gesso (every layer or the last layer only, both ob canvas or
panels) a standard practice in painting, for those who want a smooth
surface for high detail work or portraits (with smooth tonal transitions)?

BTW, my personal practice is to thoroughly brush the surface
top-bottom-top, left-rigt-left and diagonally to get rid of dust before
sizing...

> Loris, your idea of using fine activated carbon is interesting. Will
> await your experience.

Will to it as soon as I'm confident with the normal way ;)

> As Keith suggests, it might be worth DILUTING THE PREPARED GESSO to
> reduce its viscosity so brushing it on will not leave streaks.

Yes, but that should be done carefully because of the risk of
precipitating CaCO3 - if the viscosity/density isn't enough to hold the
particles in emulsion...

> Pardon this long story but hope it answers some issues we have
> encountered and raises more!!

Thanks much.