U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: VDB

RE: VDB

Sorry, Scott, you are dealing with a redux reaction, oxidation of the VanDyke  by the Cyanotype. Occasionally  I have been able  get results that seem to last a while (by using larger concentrations of Van Dyke but when I have gone back a couple years later to the prints I found that they had been eaten up by the blue dye. Try using Cyanotype over palladium or platinum, that works. .If someone has been able to make it work, I would also like to hear about it.  Joachim
-----Original Message-----
From: Weber, Scott B [mailto:sweber@mail.barry.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:03 PM
To: 'alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca'
Subject: VDB

I have been making cyanotypes and have tried putting a layer of Van Dyke over and really like the result. Question; do I need to fix the VDB layer with hypo. This seems to bleach out the cyan layer a bit. Or is there some other cause?

Scott B. Weber

Associate Professor of Photography

Department of Fine Arts

Barry University