From: ender100
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: josef sudek

I've seen some of Sandy King's full color carbon prints and they are stunning.
On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:53:53 PM, "etienne garbaux" <photographeur@nerdshack.com> wrote:

Sudek (who is one of my very favorite photographers) did make carbro
prints.  I believe he also made some straight carbon prints from 5x7
and smaller negatives.  The virtue of carbro is that it can produce
an enlarged carbon (or generically, pigment) print with familiar
darkroom procedures (as opposed to enlarged internegatives, which are
more of a hassle).  Personally, I do not find most carbro prints up
to the standard of "real" carbon prints made from in-camera
negatives, but then the two processes aren't really aimed at the same
negative-producers, so it's usually an apples-to-oranges
comparison.  And some stunning three- and four-color carbros were
made back in the day, when it was one of the first available
high-quality color printing processes.