U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: pt/pd stops

Re: pt/pd stops

Eric and others,
Thanks for the answers.  I am getting that one can print over 10 stops (wow).

Eric, I am interested in just platinum and palladium and combinations thereof, not Ziatype or whatnot.

I am interested in the utmost capability of a pt/pd print in terms of stops--to compare with bw, cyanotype, gum, etc. I have gone back and started reading Mike Ware's Cyanotype book again and find it is SO worth reading because each time I return to it I find more.  More on this later with extending cyanotype's range.

It is not a question of "my pt/pd steps are bigger than yours" :) nor does it relate to those printing gorgeous prints from midtone to black with no white...

In the BW darkroom I did an interesting visual of printing a Stouffers with every filter in the Kodak filter pack to illustrate the tonal range/number of stops each filter produced.  Very illustrative of the effect of filters!  I'm tempted to post one more visual :)

But no one would print with a 1 or 0 filter which, if memory serves correctly and I am too lazy to go get the step wedge prints, gave the longest tonal range.

etc. etc. gotta go teach...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/