U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE:

RE:

I suggest you DO NOT fix.  Yes, with time it will fade away but plan on dark storage and don't display the negative.  And of course, absolutely no developer solutions.  Test shots I made using contact printed negatives onto photo paper and 20 minute exposures in bright sunlight lost at least one full stop of "density" when run through fixer.  It was Arista Fix, so a generic sodium thiosulfate brew.  Never tried TF4 or similar.  Might fade less.  So when time came to deal with my solaragraphy negative, I just skipped the fixer and went straight to the scanner.

A few passes with the scanner shouldn't hurt (much).  What I did was simply set my scanner to scan full pane, no pre-view and at maximum optical resolution.  Then slap down the negative and scan.  I can always edit down the file through cropping and downsampling later.  That way I only exposed the negative one time to the light of the scanner.  Then into a black plastic photo paper bag and the bottom drawer of the file cabinet.

Rob Young
rwyoung@ieee.org