U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER RE: Truth Beauty book

Re: CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER RE: Truth Beauty book

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER RE: Truth Beauty book
  • From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 21:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

My apologies Bob... You have been on my conscience, but life has been so complicated, compromised, conflicted and incompetent that instead of getting anything done, everything has unravelled and I've ended up at a net loss..

(And remind me not to get into any more arguments on the list about free range eggs --- I only put eggs in chicken salad anyway... That's NON-free range chicken salad -- & tho I rarely bet less than a million dollars, I'd bet my chicken salad, including almonds, grapes, apples & OJ, et al, would get the prize at the county fair .... nyah nyah !)

This week has meanwhile been a total loss, so I will try VERY hard to get to B&N tomorrow... and, the good lord willing & if the crick don't rise, to Strand (just for the heck of it... I doubt they'll have that book.)

That $539, incidentally, as it's been explained here in the past, is allegedly not the price set by Amazon itself, but Amazon apparently has a host of independent sellers, who can charge whatever they want, and if there's a scarcity (or they make or contrive a scarcity) they put the price up like that.

I remember years ago someone was trying to get James Reilly's "The Albumen & Salted Paper Book" & got a price in hundreds quoted from "Amazon." Then someone else explained to the list that the book was available to download free from the (UCLA? Stanford?) website. I haven't heard mention of that website lately, but presumably it's still there. In any event, once the panic is over, I'd bet (at least a dollar) that Truth/Beauty will resurface.

meantime,

I'm sorry Bob, it's just that life in these precincts has been more along the lines of crash and oblivion of late than truth and beauty... Nothing deadly you understand ... more, like a bad sitcom. (They never get anything done either, but at least they get paid for it.)

best,

Judy

DEAR CHRISTINA & JUDY,
	This is getting weird!  I had the Truth Beauty book in my Barnes and
Noble shopping cart for something around $60.  I just went to order it and
it is gone.  When I enter all Chris's info below into B&N search they say
"nothing found"!  When I search for it on Amazon they want $539 for it!?!?!
	I had to enter Alison Nordstrom and found it as the last of 18 books
but listed as out of stock.  Amazon has it for $539!?!?!?
	I will search Borders.  Any other suggestions where I might find it
at a reasonable price?
	Judy, did you ever get over to B&N to see it?
		CHEERS!
			BOB