U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: argentotype again

RE: argentotype again

ALberto,
Somehow I missed the thread, but it sounds like the satista process that I described on the alternative photography web site
http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_satista.html
Marek

> Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:56:47 +0200
> From: alt.list@albertonovo.it
> Subject: argentotype again
> To: alt-photo-process-L@usask.ca
>
> I've had a reply offlist from Mike Ware (he is not subscribing) about the
> argentotype recipe. See below.
>
> Alberto
>
> -------------------
> Dear Alberto,
>
> Your outline description of Herschel's argentotype is correct - but I
> cannot add much in the way of further details. In his 1842 paper to Phil.
> Trans. he only mentions it in the Postscript, Art. 218, on p. 210. Here is a
> copy of Herschel's original text:
>
> 218. If paper prepared as above recommended for the chrysotype, either with
> the ammonio-citrate or ammonio-tartrate of iron, and impressed, as in that
> process, with a latent picture, be washed with nitrate of silver instead of
> a solution of gold, a very sharp and beautiful picture is developed, of
> great intensity. Its disclosure is not instantaneous; a few moments elapse
> without apparent effect; the dark shades are then first touched in, and by
> degrees the details appear, but much more slowly than in the case of gold.
> In two or three minutes, however, the maximum of distinctness will not fail
> to be attained. The picture may be fixed by the hyposulphite of soda,
> which alone, I believe, can be fully depended on for fixing argentine
> photographs.
>
> He does not specify the strength of the Fe am cit solution in this paper,
> as you will see from the quotes in my "Gold in Photography" pp 68-74, but I
> have discovered elsewhere that he used 1 part of Fe am cit to 9 parts of
> water, typically. I do not know the strength of his silver nitrate
> solution.
>
> I have seen some of Herschel's argentotypes, at Oxford, Bradford, and at
> HRHRC Texas, and they are faded, compared with his original description. I
> think he made very few of these iron-based silver prints.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Mike
>

> On 16 May 2009, at 11:45, Alberto Novo wrote:
>
> > All I know about argentotype is that it was a (presumabily) Fe am
> > citrate coating developed in silver nitrate. I have a Namias'
> > formula for a brown-black callitype developed in alkaline silver
> > nitrate which might be a more refined approach, but I would prefer
> > to cite the original formulation.

HotmailŪ has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.