U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Red chalk - thank you

Red chalk - thank you

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question, especially to you, Katharine,
for your careful and detailed response which clarifies things wonderfully.

FYI I chased down a pigment in the Cornelissen list called "Pozzuoli Red"
which seems a little more brick-y than the Venetian red on the same site.
Cornelissen declines to allocate a number to the pigment, but a site for
icon painters (who insist on natural earth colours) has it, allocates it to
PR102 (which would chime with "red ochre" in Hilary Page) and states that it
comes from quarries in Northern Italy.

I also discover that I've got a small jar of something called "Herculaneum
Red" purchased at a wonderful pigment shop in Umbria a few years ago. It's a
much more orange colour, and I've no idea whether it's synthetic or natural.

The sainted Fred Picker used to get lots of letters from people with queries
about various techniques or materials. Many of the senders got their
original letters back, with the sole addition of a large rubber stamp saying
"TRY IT!".

Sounds like good advice - guess I should take it...

Best wishes

Henry