U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: UV light meter

Re: UV light meter

Yesterday I referred back to an earlier discussion noting that there's no great correlation between the UV index (which weights UVB wavelengths heavily and is used to measure the risk of sunburn) and exposure times for alt photo processes, which depend on UVA wavelengths.. But it's not necessary to go back to that discussion to see the lack of correlation between the UV index and exposure times; just consider Paul's observation here that his exposure times remain fairly constant as the UV index varies from 4 to 10.

Katharine

On Jun 17, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Paul Viapiano wrote:

We were talking about exposing in the sun/outdoors, and the possibilities of measuring the UV for that purpose.

However, I found (for me!) that exposure for pure palladium prints hardly changed whether the UV index was 4 or as high as 10-ish, as measured by an online weather station close to me.

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "dkfreed" <dkfreed@whidbey.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: UV light meter

Paul, et al

What would you be using this UV meter for?

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:11:40 -0700, Paul Viapiano <viapiano@pacbell.net>
wrote:

Hi all...
We were talking about a device like this a few months ago, and happened

to find this just now.

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.com/Reliability-Direct-MS-98- Ultra-Violet-Detector-p/rdi-ms98.htm

Paul