From: phritz-phantom@web.de [mailto:phritz-phantom@web.de]
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 1:17 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: NETHERLANDS REVIVAL OF POLAROID

hey bob,
i can give you a brief translation of what the article is about:

first few paragraphs, are about the premises where polaroid film was made
until 08 and the guy from impossible project counting the remaining things.
impossible b.v. wants to develop a completely new instant film. there are
ten former polaroid-employees still working there and the goal is to sell
one million pieces of film in the first year.
the guy behind the business plan is florian kaps, who used to work for the
lomographic society. he says, he doesn't do it for charity (niceness??), but
to make a profit. he continues, the reason why polaroid stopped making film,
was because the company closed their companies which produced the chemicals
for the instant film first, the plan was to use up the remaining stock of
chemicals and so to continue producing polaroid for the next ten years. but
the demand for polaroid film didn't drop as fast as they expected, so after
4 of those 10 years, they ran out of chemicals.

kaps has 12 employees and a three million euro budget ("risikobudget" -
sorry, i'm no businessman). the  money comes from businessmen, film
directors, camera retailers, friends and family. he thinks, big companies
aren't interested in scaling down business plans for a product that is not
as profitable as it once was (even though still possibly profitable). so,
his plan is to try to work with a smaller business and lower production
cost.
1. development of a new, cheaper film. and using cheaper sources for the
20-or so parts instant film is made from.
2. he rented only the smallest of the former buildings and took all the
machines there (paying 190.000 euros in the first year for 14.200 square
meters on three floors).
3. low-cost distribution channels: direct sales, museum shops, camera shops
and hip shops  like "urban outfitters).  in the usa a subsidiary company
with three employees will handle the distribution. he's currently in
negotiations for asia.

the first product (starting in early 2010) will be a monochrome instant film
with 8 or 10 images each, costing 18-20 euro.  kaps says, it's 99.5% sure,
that this film will be in stores. no definite name yet, possibly
"polapremium". later in the same year a colour film will follow. later a new
camera with a good lens and manual controls.

that's pretty much it. hope it's interesting to someone and not complete
engrish.
phritz

database 4213 (20090703) __________

http://www.eset.com