From: Christina Z. Anderson [mailto:zphoto@montana.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:03 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: digitizing slides advice??

Thanks Eric, Clay, Liam, and Don, for the advice.

Eric you bring up a good point below--what quality I need. The largest size
gum and platinum would be 13x19, but it may be that I print a group of these

digitally (gasp) at larger sizes.  Thus quality is important, but Clay's
advice to do the whole lot cheaply and efficiently with the camera and then
choose the best to do with a good scan is good advice.

I checked into the prices of the slide attachment/bellows and together new
they cost about $618 (URL below if I am getting the correct equipment
right); the scanner $600, the V750 scanner $850.  All of these choices would

be cheaper alternatives than having someone scan 400 glass and 1000
cardboard slides. I do have one benefit--growing up in a family of 8, they
are willing to pitch in some $$ to do this and with that many it isn't too
costly per person in this economic blitz of a time. But it may be that a
better scanner is the way to go because after the collection is digitized I
will have the scanner for personal use.  BUT I could conceivably make $$
doing the slide thing for others, too (in my spare time--NOT)   :)

Don said:
And yeah I'm in the same boat, hundreds of family photo prints and thousands
of slides to be converted. I've promised my brother and sisters that I will
create a family album for everyone. It sounds like a great idea to begin
with but after the reality of the time and work required sinks in it becomes
a real burden.

Don, I feel your pain, being my family's "photo archivist".  I have made 4
Blurb books to date, and they take lots of time.   I mean LOTS of time.
This is the intention I have to do with these ultimately, and I will say
that one of my books was all scanned color 3x5s or 3x6s, very low quality
images to begin with, and the book was still a hit.  It was almost as if it
was intentionally crummy. And the great thing about Blurb is once you make
the book, you give them the URL and they pay for it themselves (tho
certainly not for your time).

The most time, though, is in the initial cull and edit. Maybe I should come
down there and help you??

Sometimes I feel all of this is thankless but I know the next generation
will really appreciate it.

Bob Kiss, are you there?  Being a pro photographer for so long, has someone
digitized your collection?
Chris

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37862-REG/Nikon_2661_PS_6_Slide_Copy_A
ttachment.html