U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: digitizing slides advice??

RE: digitizing slides advice??

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: digitizing slides advice??
  • From: Don Bryant <donsbryant@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:48:12 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:references:subject:date:message-id:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:x-mailer:x-mimeole:in-reply-to:thread-index;bh=Jt/C/eL9+qxE9tqLEAY/YiW/tz2T6xIWm9AkASCVHYQ=;b=QVX3frayOZKT6ppnHD7UKiHJRp5qb5OVGbBfxlNzqA74IYn6pFoAQGEujEwPqRZXL2jYfvwMVNQ4eFXDZiK7DWbDCVVpuX12e1AGlKk7jR0Pz2lcUGlMf6X+++Ie/G85J9kgFkqTodyeCtUrVdV/SnG3W5O2BkgF1sNtgynvpRQ=

Chris,

Don said:
And yeah I'm in the same boat, hundreds of family photo prints and thousands
of slides to be converted. I've promised my brother and sisters that I will
create a family album for everyone. It sounds like a great idea to begin
with but after the reality of the time and work required sinks in it becomes
a real burden.

Don, I feel your pain, being my family's "photo archivist".  I have made 4
Blurb books to date, and they take lots of time.   I mean LOTS of time.
This is the intention I have to do with these ultimately, and I will say
that one of my books was all scanned color 3x5s or 3x6s, very low quality
images to begin with, and the book was still a hit.  It was almost as if it
was intentionally crummy. And the great thing about Blurb is once you make
the book, you give them the URL and they pay for it themselves (tho
certainly not for your time).

The most time, though, is in the initial cull and edit. Maybe I should come
down there and help you??

Any time you feel the need for more work come on down to the plantation. You
are always welcome; we might even sweep the front porch and slaughter a hog.

Unfortunately I'm still trying to excise the photos and slides that my
little sister stole from my mother before she passed away.

Since I don't have children I don't really want to maintain physical
possession of the family photo archive. I want that to be given to all of
the family children with knowledge of who the people are in the photographs.
She even has a fantastic B&W print of my father's father made inside a bar
circa 1920.

Don