U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Hoping to find Klaus Pollmeir

Hoping to find Klaus Pollmeir

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Hoping to find Klaus Pollmeir
  • From: Richsul Sullivan <richsul@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:40 -0600
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list

As folks here may already know, Autotype  has discontinued gravure tissue. They were the last manufacturers of gravure tissue. This has left somewhere in the range of 300 to 500 gravure studios and serious printers in a lurch. Not only will a truly great photo process die, but hundreds of jobs are at stake as well as portfolios that are in mid production.

Bostick & Sullivan has been making carbon tissue now for about 5 years. We are trying to pick up where Autotype left off and begin to produce gravure tissue. The problem is that gravurer tissue is more than red or brown tinted carbon tissue and there are other issues involved.

It is my understanding that Kalus Pollmeir who was active here on this list 5 or 10 years ago may have gotten  the machines from Hanfstaengle in Germany when they closed down and may have gotten their formulas and procedures as well.

If anyone knows how to contact Klaus, a lot of people would appreciate it. He just may have the secrets we need.

If you are a gravure printer, know something about gravure tissue or just have an interest in gravure, you can follow our progress along with many of the world's noted printers at the special section on the B+S carbon forum at:

http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone.com/index.php