U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: laser printer for diginegs

Re: laser printer for diginegs

I believe the 1290 came out in 2002 which in inkjet age is a long time ago, alot has changed.  If you used it for that time you got your $$ worth.  My printers are not used constantly infact will sit for several months sometimes, I use them for digital negs and color printing.

Here's what I do:
I hardly ever use the power clean feature, the sound of ink poring into the trash gives my blood a chill!  I first do a nozzle test and then a manual cleaning, I'm offered a auto or manual cleaning option.  If you use the auto it will keep printing nozzle tests and cleaning cycles until it gets a good nozzle test.  In so doing it is again pumping ink into the trash.

If after the second nozzle check and cleaning all is not well I turn the printer off and let it set for a couple of hours after which I turn it back on and run a nozzle check and usually it is good to print after that.  I've been doing this for years with the Epson 9600 and 9800 printers with great success, only rarely having to repeat the procedure more than once.  It does use up time but I'm still young {:-)  When I'm waiting I usually spend the time working on other images that I may be able to print with the others.

There is also another procedure using a paper towel soaked with Windex window cleaner that you slide under the printing head and leave to soak the dried ink from the nozzles.  I have not gathered the courage to try this yet but know several friends that have and report no negative effects.

The new printers have improved inks, printing heads and nozzle design (finer drops of ink = better resolution), and printing technology all add up to improved quality and performance.  For more info try the Yahoo Epson or Canon user groups.

Hope this helps.

David