U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: R.I.P. HDR

Re: R.I.P. HDR

Oh darn, I was just tearing myself loose to go do some yardwork, but it's been a long time since we've had a philosophical discussion here, and this issue is fresh on my mind because I was just posting about it elsewhere, so I have to at least chime in right after Paul to say hurrah for subtlety!

Several years ago, I kept two magazines open side by side on my desk, one open to an image of a forest, digitally adjusted to, supposedly, make it more perfect by using digital manipulation than could be done in the darkroom (that was the meme that was being advanced at the time) the other to a color photograph of a forest by Christopher Burkett. The digital picture, though intended to show the advantages of digital photography over traditional photography, was garish and ugly; the color photograph was subtle and beautiful, with (yes) pastel colors and very subtle tonality, which is what nature looks like, at least here in the northwest (Burkett lives in the norhwest). I was trying to understand what made the digital picture so ugly and unnatural, and I finally decided that besides the surreal unnatural colors, it was also that the tonality had been stretched all the way from white to black, maybe out of slavish adherence to some mistaken rule that photographs should always contain a little pure white and a little pure black, or maybe from following some pre- press rule or something. At any rate, the darkest shadows in this picture were pure, dead, sterile black, and that's what made the picture look so sterile and unnatural, I decided. Shadows in a forest are never black, they are brown and/or green with subtle reflections of other colors; they are never darker than about .9 density, at least not in the daytime when daylight pictures are taken, they are alive and, well, subtle. The Burkett Cibachrome was evocative, beautiful, subtle, natural; it spoke of the real quiet beauty of nature and I could have looked at it all day.

Okay, the weeds are calling, but just wanted to get that in,
Katharine