U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: HDR Resurrection

RE: HDR Resurrection

Looking past the flaws in an image based on are own personal bias of perfection or even acceptability is not an easy task. Many users of HDR are still learning and like many early users of something are eager to share their first successful forays into a new form of photography. I recently attended a show with ink jet prints hanging on the walls with one even just labeled, Black and White as if that alone means something. Several prints showed high levels of noise in the shadow areas and a few even had banding clearly visible to even these old eyes. It is clear that sometimes as we make a transition from one form of expression to another that our vision will sometimes go beyond our grasp and the flaws in technique can be seen. And at the same time, it is the viewer that is asked to get out of their comfort zone and our vision out paces their grasp.

As the world of new photo skills gets tackled and conquered by a few, they are there for many to play with, absorb, and ruminate over. How many bad images in many forms have we endured over the years simply because as a group we were learning new stuff. The proliferation of images will no doubt bring to the viewer greatly interpreted views with extreme tonal range, it will also bring many that fail to excite.

Enjoy the ride!

Eric

Eric Neilsen

Eric Neilsen Photography