U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Ammonium and Pottasium Dichromate

RE: Ammonium and Pottasium Dichromate

Hello again Tsuyoshi,

I don’t know if anyone replied to your posting – I didn’t see anything on the list.

I too went to Benrido and was intrigued to hear they used a Pot / Amm Dichromate mix.

I have no experience of the collotypye process myself but I can tell you my experience of different dichromate mixes with gum and PVAL.

The higher the concentration of dichromate the shorter the printing time – it seems to go roughly in proportion – 10% dichromate is twice as fast as 5%; 20% is 4x as fast. Of course you can only go to about 13% with Potassium but 27% (?) with Ammonium dichromate. Other than the strength I know of no difference between Pot and Amm.

One other impact of changing the strength of the dichromate is the tonal range that prints. This is also affected to a lesser extent by the light source and also by the pigment being used. Using PVAL and 5% dichromate I find a narrow tonal range gets printed. This is useful with B&W prints because it allows – by changing the exposure time – me to print different blocks of tones in different colours or shades. 13% dichromate and gum is generally sufficient to print a wide range of tones – more than 10 stops on the negative – so I rarely bother with stronger Ammonium.

Hope that helps

Geoff Chaplin

 ジェフ チャップリン

geoff@geoffgallery.net

www.geoffgallery.net

Skype: geoffchaplin1611

UK mobile (英国の携帯電話): +44(0) 7770 787069

Japan mobile (日本の携帯電話): +81(0) 90 6440 7037

Japan land line / fax (日本の電話とファクス): +81(0) 166 92 5855