U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: haunted GUM (related to judy's favourite pet peeve: the pigmentrat

RE: haunted GUM (related to judy's favourite pet peeve: the pigmentratio test)

Phritz, what happened with the desk lamp could be that you baked the
emulsion under the (presumably) hot lightsource. How is the environment in
your working area, and does it remain the same between tests? Humidity and
temperature will affect your printing times (and fogging treshold)
considerably. How do you coat and dry the prints. Do you rehumidity? Please
tell us more about your procedures and environment...

BTW I'm not familiar with poweder pigments (in the context of gum printing),
but 0.5 - 1.2 g black powder pigment per 10ml coating solution looks like
too much to me. FWIW, I use a very small (lentil or half lentil sized -
haven't weighted, it but I'd bet it is below 0.1g) amnt. of powdered
graphite per layer of casein dichromate to get a very satisfactory
middletone density. (Graphite and carbon black are comparable, graphite
being slightly less dense...)