U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: haunted GUM (related to judy's favourite pet peeve: the pigmentrat

Re: haunted GUM (related to judy's favourite pet peeve: the pigmentratio test)

phritz, you've got the right idea about different pigments requiring different amounts to achieve a color-saturated layer; pigments vary widely in pigment strength, as you're learning. Most earth pigments, like your burnt siena, are quite weak as pigments go, so it's not surprising that you don't get an opaque coating with a fair amount of burnt siena (also, some burnt sienas are quite transparent).

The main comment I want to make in a hurry is that underexposure is not likely your problem. If your strip were "severely underexposed" the gum coating would dissolve into the water within a few minutes, leaving you a piece of white paper to dry and try again. Since you have it even where there's no exposure, that suggests stain rather than overexposure as the source of the problem. Also, where you've wiped off the bulk of the pigment layer on the area that received no exposure, there's still significant stain left (that grainy deposit, that's pigment stain.) Too much pigment, it looks almost certainly.

But there are a couple of things that don't make sense to me, so maybe a clarification: I'm reading that this is one part of a sheet you coated and tore into three pieces, and the other two pieces printed fine? Could we see those? It doesn't make sense that with two parts of the same coating on the same paper it printed fine and with one part there was serious stain, so maybe I'm not understanding your description/example/question.

But definitely not underexposed, if you've got heavy tone like that that won't go away in 20 minutes of development.

There's an example with lamp black on my pigment stain page that looks a lot like yours, down towards the bottom of the page, compared to how it prints with half the amount of pigment. (third visual down on the page).

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/stain.html

Hope any of that is helpful
Katharine