U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Miracle size for gum

Re: Miracle size for gum

hi marek,
does it really say "pv alcohol" on the bottle, not "pv acetate"?
i found the data sheet on the gamlin site yesterday and there it says:
"Product: Poly Vinyl Acetate (PVA) Glue
Chemical name: Ethylene/Vinyl Acetate Copolymer"

http://www.gamblincolors.com/msds/pdf/drying_oils/msds_PVA.pdf

what i've learnt on the substances so far (i think mostly from a post from katharine thayer on apug), is that pv-alcohol is basically a simple glue and not waterproof and pv-acetat is insoluble in water and the better size.

regards
phritz

Marek Matusz schrieb:
Loris,
A note on the bottle says "post plasticezed neutral pH ply vinyl alcohol).
perhaps one can mix a PVA solution from polyvinylalcohol that can be bought. I suspect that there are other additives in the Gamblin product, but they might not be all that relevant to the gum sizing.
I also have to add it is so simple to just take some solution from the bottle, add water and brush it on paper, no additional chemicals, no mess.
Marek

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now. <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/>