U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Miracle size for gum (CAPAROL binder)

Re: Miracle size for gum (CAPAROL binder)

loris,
i think i finally found something. the stuff is called "caparol binder"
from the sennelier catalog:
"caparol vinyl binding medium, which contains a high concentration of water-soluble polyvinyl-acetate was developed specifically for use with dry pigments. this easy to use medium provides a completely permanent paint film..."
according to the (german) data sheet from caparol it can be used as a medium, grounding/ primer for canvas and also as a wallpaper paste.and it can be diluted with water.
and the main ingredient is. "Polyvinylacetatharzdispersion": ("harz" = resin). in the german data sheets everything is called "kunstharz" (synthetic resin), regardless if it's based on acrylic or acetate or whatever. this is what makes the search a little difficult.
but the caparol binder sounds pretty much similar to the gamblin.

does someone incidentally have some of the caparol binder around and could run a quick test with gum?
otherwise i'll see what i can get next week. maybe i can get it somewhere around town, most of the artist's supply mailorders carry it.

regards
phritz

Loris Medici schrieb:
Thanks for the report Marek. Unfortunately we don't have Gamblin
products here in Turkey. Do you have any idea about the formula? I can
find PVA but I'm not sure which one to buy and how much to use...

Not directly related but just wanted to mention: For those who are
interested in "casein", the miracle sizing is cheap acrylic gesso 1+4
(or 1+5) with water.