I have to share a black and white gelatin silver finding my students did in class this week that perhaps has been found before by list members, perhaps not?
I mixed up Fotospeed LD20 at a 1 + 12 dilution and a tray of bleach (100g pot bromide, 100g pot ferri in 1 liter, working strength 1 +9). I had them bleach a previously completed print out in room light, and then rinse well and place in the lith developer tray until redeveloped. Then into the darkroom in the fix, wash, hypoclear.
What happened is the blacks instantly bleached out in the fix and sort of reversed to this neat brown lined with a sort of black mackie line. Very cool. I'll be able to photograph and put on my website later...
Still things to discover in the BW darkroom. I had pseudolithed in the past to good effect--pinks and purples on Ilford MGIV. In fact, Ilford MGIV I find is not good for lith so if students only have that paper I have them do the pseudo process. And in room light. But that was with a homemade lith developer a la recipe ID 85 (a true lith developer with paraformaldehyde) which I used to always make up until Fotospeed seemed just as good in the darkroom. Never used the Fotospeed in the pseudolith process before but now that I have, it has great possibilities.
I always love it when my students stumble upon something unique that I have never experienced. I'll call this the Kaitlyn Cowart process :)
Christina Z. Anderson