Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:52:52 -0600
From: zphoto@montana.net
Subject: Re: Miracle size for gum
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

Marek, and Francis,

Thanks for the posting, Marek.  I will have to try the stuff as well. My results with acrylic sizing in the past have been iffy at best, but perhaps this is the ticket.  I know Peter Blackburn swears by Aquapel, which I also have to try here. So many sizes, so little time....it seems lately when I get time for the darkroom it is time to make work and not do these fun tests which I love to do :(

I just love your posts and tests and visuals--so clear. And your willingness to share your great results.

I am not understanding why it takes 8 hr for water development?  Is that to clear the whites or in general?

Your thalo 1 minute exposure has not printed in the numbers on the step wedge tho it appears you have maximum black in your step wedge--is it 1 minute UVBL or some other light source? You are using a 1 minute exposure normally for your bleach development?? You must be using some powerful light there...the reason I ask is yesterday I gave a gum demo to the Printmaking Club and I guessed the exposure for yellow (ha) might be 8 minutes on their behemoth old exposure unit flatbed thingy and I totally baked the layer on.  I retried at 3 minutes and even that was long.  So I wasted 2 sheets of paper and 11 minutes.  I was basing my guess on previous experience with that unit and solarplate which took way longer than expected (no time to calibrate in an afternoon demo--I just winged it, and you know how that goes...)

You are getting great tonal ranges with your bleaching process of choice.

Francis, Venetian Red is a pretty luscious color, isn't it--a sort of bricky lipstick red.  It's great with a raw sienna and ultramarine blue.  BUT raw siennas sure vary in color, not just in strength, from manufacturer to manufacturer, some being a beautiful yellow and some being a dull ochre. VR is strongly pigmented, too...I used to use it all the time in oil painting.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/