U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: was Miracle size for gum now tonal range

Re: was Miracle size for gum now tonal range

Marek, I'm having trouble following this argument, but I'll start by saying that I don't agree with your initial premise. No, a "typical experiment," or a meaningful comparison between dichromate concentrations would *not*compare them using the same exposure; that would be a pointless comparison. Although I've seen such comparisons made and wrong conclusions drawn from them, that's a case of people not understanding what it means to compare two things in a meaningful way.

So no, I would never start from the assumption that "a typical experiment" would compare the two dichromates by using the same exposure, and in fact I assumed that phritz had done the comparison correctly, by exposing each of the concentrations properly to control for their different sensitivities,in order to compare their tonal range in a meaningful way.

I have a demonstration on my website showing what happened when I compared ammonium dichromate at saturated concentration vs ammonium dichromate cut to 1/5 of saturated concentration, and exposed accordingly (it took 5x the exposure to properly expose the dichromate at 1/5 the concentration). The actual experiment involved five different concentrations showing a linear relationship between concentration and exposure, but I only showed the two outside conditions to save space on the website. The 5x diluted dichromate printed only four steps, vs eight steps for the saturated concentration.

The second misconception is that if you keep adding dichromate, you'll get more hardening, resulting in what, a greater DMax? More steps? Or what? (I'm trying to understand how, in your mind, this argument bears on the question of how dichromate concentration affects tonal range). But the fact is that it's been shown in research studies that beyond the where the colloid has achieved maximum insolubility (I forget how long the exposure was at that point, but not a long exposure) you can keep adding to the reduced chromium by continuing exposure, but it doesn't add anything to the hardening of the colloid. Besides, there's much more dichromate in most of our mixes than is necessary to completely harden the gum, as can be demonstrated by the fact that you get bright yellow (unreacted) dichromate coming off in the wash water after a gum layer is completely hardened.

As I said, I'm not understanding your argument leading to your proposed three conditions, so let me go through it and see where I'm failing to understand what you're saying. You're comparing 1x dichromate with 2x dichromate, yes? If 1x dichromate is usually properly exposed with 1x exposure, which is how I read condition (1) then 2x dichromate should be exposed with 1/2x exposure, not 1x as in condition(3) and I don't see why you would include condition (2) of exposing the 2x dichromate for the same time you would expose the 1x dichromate; that's the meaningless (pointless) comparison I mentioned above. So maybe you could clarify what you're suggesting here, because it's not making sense to me.

BTW, the characterization of gum chemistry isn't quite correct, given what we understand now, but that's not really an issue for this thread.
Katharine