U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Gum tonal range (was Miracle size for gum)

RE: Gum tonal range (was Miracle size for gum)

Etienne,
Actually your point is well taken and it is not how many steps on the stouffer wedge can be printed, but how many separate grey tones from black to white can be distunguished in the print. To me a good test for that is printing the step wedge, but any low density, or even curved test negative will do.
To this extent there is 12 separate steps in this test print, and you will notice how delicate the highlights are, gradually disappearining into the white of the paper. Very much like palladium print. You would use a palladium like negative to print that as well if you will look at the DR.
http://picasaweb.google.com/marekmatusz1/GumAndPvaSize#5390693653921971538

Marek