U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Daguerreotype Gallery

RE: Daguerreotype Gallery

Hi Chris, thanks for the kind words :-). It is very nice to get such
positives responses.

Yes, the blue happens in overexposed highlights. Daguerreians call it
solarisation, and I think it is similar to solarization on film. There was
this Ansel Adams photo where the overexposed sun turned black. I have a
similar effect on one plate, where the outside of the sun is blue but the
(brighter) center is black.

The "modern" is to say that these daguerreotypes were made recently, as
opposed to the 1850s. I do use the same process as the daguerrians used back
then (not the Becquerel one).

Good luck with your switch to the Mac. Apple does make gorgeous displays,
and I wouldn't mind having this new 27" one... for work, because thankfully
making daguerreotypes doesn't require computers.

All the best,

gregory