U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: densitometro

Re: densitometro

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: densitometro
  • From: etienne garbaux <photographeur@nerdshack.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:45:31 -0400
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list

Juan Miguel wrote:

As each paper he/she does have a different color, are not all white pure, should I put to "or" my densitometro on the target of each paper to show him which the density of the pure target is?.
Otherwise, the densitometro includes a calibration scale, black pure, half pure and gray target. It should gauge the densitometro to these parameters with independence of the color of each paper.
General practice (and my preference) is to calibrate the densitometer using the calibration scale. Then, to determine the Density Range of a print, you will measure the density of the paper (in an unexposed area, after processing) and subtract that density from the measured image density to determine the image density above "paper white" (which, as you say, will not be pure white).

Best regards,

etienne