U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Scanner recommendations?

Re: Scanner recommendations?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Scanner recommendations?
  • From: etienne garbaux <photographeur@nerdshack.com>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:56:42 -0500
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list

Iain wrote:

I want an A4 flatbed which can also scan both 35mm & 120 film. Cost is an issue but I am looking for new rather than used because it needs to work with Windows 7 64-bit and older models may not have up-to-date drivers. I've had Epson before and a quick check on their web site suggests the Epson Perfection 4490 as their cheapest which fits the bill. Any thoughts/alternatives?
I have been most pleased with my Microtek ScanMaker i900 (8-12" x 14" bed, plus a separate drawer for transparent media) , which I bought after comparing to the Epson, Canon, and HP. Someone suggested that Microtek may not be marketing its scanners in North America anymore, but I have not checked.

And now, a question -- I'm looking for a scanner that takes 11" x 17" originals. Any suggestions? (My application is only for line drawings and text, so it need not be photo-quality, but I'd like resolution of at least 600 ppi.)

Best regards,

etienne