U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Scanner recommendations?

Re: Scanner recommendations?

Absolutely not. It is a flammable liquid along the chemical line of lighter fluid.
Mineral oil is messy and though filling a scratch (we used to use 'nose grease')
it leaves a residue. Lighter fluid evaporates and is naptha based, which is a
petroleum product.
Also similar is cleaning fluid, which is quite difficult to purchase anymore due to
its carcinogenic properties. However, w/out having giving it a try, I have a hunch
that white gas, or camping light fluid may well work in place of Kami fluid as it
as well is naptha based.
If you have a negative not important to you, but that is sharp, you might go the
Aztek web site or Google how to scan with Kami fluid and emulate that w/the
camping fluid. It doesn't take much but for sure do not do it near a heater or
smoke or create a spark etc. The flammability of the fluid is why we did not
purchase the V750 Epson scanners and obtained the V700 models instead for it
is difficult to oversee student usage when our digital is 24-7.
Best
Jack F