From: Keith Schreiber [mailto:keith@jkschreiber.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:20 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: speaking of printers...

Hi Chris,

A few comments, observations and questions:

First, I looked at the images linked to in your other post. The one
on the left looks like what my 3800 would do printing a text document
on plain paper using Photo black. The one on the right, using Matte
black.  Which black do you have installed in the printer in question?
I understand that the 2400, unlike the 3800, requires physically
changing the cartridge to change black modes.

By "sprayer thingies" I think you mean nozzles. Are you saying that
the same printer will produce good nozzle checks when printed from
your PC, but not from your Mac? What happens if you run the nozzle
check from the printer's control panel rather than from either computer?

I'm pretty sure head alignment and nozzle cleaning is strictly a
printer issue and is independent of platform, though coincidence may
seem to suggest otherwise.

According to chatter on a few digital groups that I follow, both Snow
Leopard and CS4 have been quite buggy with Epson (and other) printer
drivers, especially with regards to color management, so it seems
wise to stay with Leopard (or Tiger) and CS3 if possible, at least
until Apple, Adobe, and Epson learn to play well together.

I agree with other suggestions regarding QTR for making digital negs.
Not that there is anything wrong with PDN but it does rely on the
Epson driver which seems to be where the problems lie. The Mac
version of QTR functions as a separate printer driver, bypassing the
Epson driver.

Good luck solving your problem and I hope this helps at least a little.

Keith
www.jkschreiber.com