U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Dark reaction

Re: Dark reaction

Judy wrote:

your comment makes me think that there's really no such thing as "fluorescent lights" -- but probably 10 different kinds (eg. black light fluorescents, & some other kind my neighbor was using (as I recall "blacklight blue"), plus plain vanilla "regular" fluorescents, and probably every few years a change in "state of the art" -- In my own experience, not only differences in the actual colors of the light and the starters, but differences in the bulbs as well.
True, but commercial fluorescents of all kinds start with a low-pressure mercury arc, which creates predominantly UV energy, which the phosphors on the inside of the envelope absorb and re-radiate at visible wavelengths. For blue-sensitive and orthochromatic (blue + green) materials, the actinic light from fluorescent lights is mostly the "leakage" UV -- the UV that is not absorbed by the phosphors -- rather than the visible light output. There is a fair amount of this "leakage UV" from all fluorescents, although there is certainly some variation.

However I do know that gum really is so flexible that that level of "fogging" could have been incorporated into our procedure... that is, just a somewhat longer soak. (We coated by the fluorescent light but had a drying closet with only a red safe light.)
I concur.

What "dichromated gelatine" process do you use Etienne? What's it called for short?
The carbon process and gelatin-based oil printing are the two most well-known. I have also done direct carbon, coating a more or less standard carbon emulsion onto a grass or plastic substrate and exposing through the substrate, and a dichromate-based dye imbibition process similar to dye transfer (DT hardens the matrix-film gelatin with the reaction byproducts of the development of the silver image -- I've done it directly with dichromate).

As long as I'm on the subject, anyone who wants knock-down gorgeous B&W images (not just B&W -- monochrome of any hue) in the tradition of the best non-alt processes may want to try single-color dye-transfer printing. It was a well-kept secret back in the heyday of DT (which was most commonly used to make stunning color prints). Jim Browning of Digital Mask is (or at least was, a few years ago) supplying the necessary materials to practice the process. Or, you can make your own according to his most excellent instructions:

http://www.dyetransfer.org/images/DyeTran.pdf

The gelatin-dichromate dye imbibition process obviates the need for matrix film and hardening developer, but the mordanted final substrate and the dyes are still required.

Best regards,

etienne