U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Dark reaction

RE: Dark reaction

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: Dark reaction
  • From: etienne garbaux <photographeur@nerdshack.com>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:23:13 -0500
  • Comments: alt-photo-process mailing list

Marek wrote:

Any advantages of the monochromatic dye transfer over other traditional alt processes.
My intent was to say that mono dye transfer ("DT") gives stunning prints in the tradition of NON-alt processes. My apologies if I did not express that clearly. Like the best silver-gelatin ("SG") prints, but better. I have seen (and made) DT prints on mordanted fine-art paper, which verges on alt, but DT prints are typically made on glossy or semi-glossy baryta paper (which is also the foundation for most SG printing paper).

Mono DT looks tonally smoother and more linear than the best SG prints. In particular, the Dmax and the "internal" contrast of shadow zones is second to no other process I've seen, and you can make highlights as delicate or as snappy as you desire. You can also change the tint at will, and adjust the contrast and density of the print -- zone by zone -- at the dye imbibition and transfer stage (i.e., after the matrix has been made). DT prints can also be more archival than SG prints, if you choose dyes wisely. Of course, all of this flexibility means that one really needs to know what one is doing to get the best prints.

Best regards,

etienne