U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: New home for list needed.

Re: New home for list needed.

BTW, garbing the archives is not that big a deal - and anybody with even a modicum of drive space (by todays standards) can do it provided they have the bandwidth and the time. That said, I have, I think a complete archive of the list in a folder I call alt-photo which is nothing but saved messages. Some of the very early archives came from me when Steve Avery had problems with the listserve and lost the posts - and yeh, I still have the .zip files.
--greg

Greg Schmitz wrote:
Yes, but... Even with commercial hosts like Google and Yahoo somebody has to moderate - that is the nature of the beast. Short of going to a web based "chat" format, which I think would destroy the list, we are stuck with that reality. I think things are in the works and I have my fingers crossed.
Best --greg

Tomas Sobota wrote:
Greg,
I also understand (and up to a point share) your concern about longevity. But in that case we need a willing institution and a willing postmaster to manage the list. Do we have them right now?
Also, please notice that for the last two universities that managed the list, we have been just a barely tolerated parasite on their mail managers. When the person in charge (Gordon, Avery) had to go, the list also had to go. Does it have to be that way always?
I think that we have a short term task, and a medium term task on hand. The short term is to save the list archives now in the U. of Sask., store them in one of the servers that have been kindly offered and assure the continuity of the list for the time being.
The medium term task is of course to find a more permanent site.
Tom