U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: New home for list needed.

RE: New home for list needed.

At first many thanks to Gordon for all, and best wishes for his future and good luck for a new and better job (but recently to get it possibly not too easy).

I think there is no a "forever" type solution on the net. University or commercial or private site all can be down by a wrong situation of the owner.

Recently the university sites seems like the most insecure probably because the symptoms of the psychosis of the "economical crisis". (E.g.: the story of the Consdistlist and the Cool site with the wonderful Albumen site etc. at the Stanford, etc.)

My suggestions: continue the list on the Yahoo server because the maximal service: it is good for the natural text users (in digest version also) and web users, and possible to upload files and documents as mentioned other list members earlier...The recent list owner and the minders can work similarly on that place. If the Yahoo close that service in the future (as they made in last month with the Geocities) we can looking for a newer site in that time...

On Yahoo recently there are a few similar lists: Photohistory, Photoconsevation (2, an english and a german version), Genphoto, Dagazine, etc. Some of moved from an other site e.g. Photohistory from an university site -- because a similar story like in the case of the altfoto list.)

But:  the our list members offered sites for the list (thank you) so in this way we can have a mirror(s) of the full list archive (from the Australian server to the all of future servers) on private servers  (better, if we can have more servers in the different geographical places) for a secure continuity. Also useful a continuously updated subscriber list on the private computers of the list owners/minders, to keep contact with members if a list place unwaitedly, suddenly break the service.

Can give more security for the archive if a part of the members can download the archive to they own computers also...

Bálint Flesch