U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: O.T. Subject of Tintypes in NY Times

RE: O.T. Subject of Tintypes in NY Times

Title: RE: O.T. Subject of Tintypes in NY Times

Susan,

I practice WPC (Wet Plate Collodion) Photography. Basically there are 3 common options:

Pour the emulsion on a glass plate, under expose and process: the result is a weak negative, and when the glass plate is painted black on the back (or put on a black surface) you get a (reversed) positive: An Ambrotype.

Pour the emulsion on a glass plate, over expose and process longer: the result is a strong negative which can be used to make a positive POP print (albumen or collodio POP)

Pour the emulsion on a black (jappaned) piece of aluminium, under expose and process: a Tintype (these were especially popular during the civil war in the USA because they were fast and easy to make and in high demand, all these boys going to war..)

Hope this clarifies it a bit,

Best,

Cor